Friday 28 June 2013

Classic Tea Cake

Before marriage, I used to ogle at all the recipe cards and pics my mom kept in her Recipes folder, hoping to replicate them someday in my own kitchen. Last week she was visiting me. I asked her to bring it along, so I could try some of those mouth-watering treats!
This is one such recipe that she used to whip up in a jiffy, and I had my eye on it since long! I don't remember (and neither does my mom!), the exact source of this recipe.....but, whatever! I thank God and my mom for it! It is such a forgiving and no-fail recipe, that I kicked myself for not having included it in my folder long ago. I tweaked the method a bit (just to experiment) and the results confirmed my theory, that if you want a tender, moist and light cake, with less butter, use either the reverse creaming method, or the egg-separation method. But since I'm not yet an expert in whipping my egg-whites to stiff peaks, I prefer the easier and less time-taking method of "reverse-creaming".  
choco-chip, nuts tea cake
I think the crumbs tell their story themselves....no need for me to brag!!

Now for the recipe.....
(Here I am giving you my version of this recipe, with reduced butter)


WHAT YOU NEED:
1 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
70 gm Unsalted butter (1/4 cup + 1.5 Tbsp), soft and pliable
2 Eggs
1 1/2 cup Castor sugar
1/2 cup Whole Milk
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Vanilla extract
3/4 cup medley of chopped nuts, tutti-fruity and choco-chips, lightly dunked in cornflour to prevent sinking

WHAT YOU DO:
Pre-heat your oven to 350 F/ 180 C.
Grease and line a loaf pan.
Whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder so as to get an even consistency. Pop in the butter and cream them together, till you get a fluffy sand like texture. Pour in 1/4 cup of milk and beat until fully incorporated.
In a separate bowl lightly whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup milk with 2 eggs and vanilla extract. Pour this into the flour mix and beat till incorporated. Fold in the nuts, tutti-fruity and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into your loaf tin and bake at 350 F/ 180 C for 35-40 mins. This batter was enough for two of my 6.5 X 3 rectangular pans, or, 9 X 3 loaf pan.
My rectangular pans get done at 40 mins and the loaf pan takes 75 mins; however depending on your oven functioning and pan size you might want to check at 35 mins (60 mins for loaf pan), and take the cake out when the skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs.
P.S. : The tea-cakes are all about flavor, as they aren't frosted, so I'd urge you to use butter only for that flavor punch!
soft, spongy, best tea cake

I sprinkled some mixed nuts on top too, to dress it up a bit!

best tea cake, reverse  creaming method
Pamper your afternoon cuppa of tea/ coffee with a slice of this light, airy and moist tea cake!!
Happy Cake-snacking!!...;)

10 comments:

  1. Wow Malvecka,I am sure these tasted out of world, and I cant wait to see all those goodies you are going to prepare from your mom's cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u soo much Harini, your feedback made my day!....it sure tasted great!! Hahaaha....yes dear! I do hope to try all those, and with my mom to guide me right now, I'm sure they'll result in success!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely. This cake is my weakness since childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx a lot Somtapa....It indeed brings back fond memories for me too, along with its aroma....

      Delete
  3. My mom & my elder sis have collection of recipes from mags newspaper. I also used to ogle them.have told them to keep this treasure & take when i have my own house in India.
    Your prepared cake looks so delicious.just need a cuppa of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx a ton Humi for the beautiful feedback......yes, the old recipe diaries & folders of moms & sis hv such a warm & special feel to them....any recipe u try from there is a sure shot success! Rightly said, it indeed is a "Treasure"...

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely with wonderful texture. Thanks for visiting my space and am happy to visit yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx a lot Gayathri.....loved the beautiful clicks and ur lovely posts.....will keep visiting ur blog!

      Delete
  5. The cake is tempting and love the add on of nuts for the nutty and crunchy explosion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnku Navaneetham......it sure is a quick & scrummy treat....do try it! It's addictive!!

      Delete

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog. Your comments and suggestions are dear to me, so please feel free to post your queries here. I'll love replying to them. Tkcr.