Tuesday 9 July 2013

LIGHT AND MOIST DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE

This Sunday, I was taking stock of my posts uptil now.....and suddenly it hit me, that I don't have any post on "chocolate cake"!! Now, THAT, is an utterly shameful moment for a chocoholic like me! You know, I am that kind of a person whom you can wake up at 2:00 a.m. (not 12:00, as I usually sleep at 12...;)....lols), serve me chocolate, and I'll forgive you for the sin you've committed in waking me up!  
Anyways.....after this moment of realization, I was devastated and depressed. Now, there is no better a cure for depression, than "chocolate"!.....even if the depression springs from chocolate itself! And so I went about my task of preparing a chocolate treat for me and my blog baby.....

chocolate cake 2 eggs

This is a Devil's food cake recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's "Cakes and Bakes". Though there are many variations and versions of a devil's food cake, but for me, a devil's food cake should be rich in chocolate; and light, fluffy and airy in texture.....a well-balanced dish, that's full of chocolate flavor, without being heavy! I just drown this cake in chocolate ganache, if I want to bask in chocolate! However, as it's raining Sun over here, I went with a lighter version of this delightful cake.....topped with walnuts and chocolate chips!


WHAT YOU NEED:
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1 cup Castor sugar
60 gm Unsalted Butter (1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp)
60 gm Dark Chocolate (1/4 cup+1 Tbsp)
1/2 cup Boiling water
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs
1 tsp  Baking powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp Chocolate/ Vanilla essence
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips, coated lightly with flour

WHAT YOU DO:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C. Grease and line a 9 inch round pan (I used 8" pan).
Sieve together flour, baking powder and Baking soda 3-4 times.
Melt the chocolate in boiling water and mix coffee in it. Cool slightly.
Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one and whisk till fully incorporated. Fold in flour and buttermilk alternately to the butter mixture.
Add the chocolate mixture to the cake batter and give it one last whirl with your hand mixer to smoothen out any lumps. Do NOT go overboard with the whisking!
The batter would be a little runnier than your average thick cake batter, but don't worry, it's ok....trust me.
Fill the pan upto 2/3rd with cake batter. Top it with walnut and chocolate chips.
Bake in the oven at 180 C/ 350 F for 45-55 mins. Mine took 60 mins. Check with a skewer after 45 mins.



 
 
Take it out and place on a wire rack to cool completely before demolding from the pan. As the cake is very soft, it might break if attempted to demold before cooling. Hence this step is very important.
Once it's cooled, take it out, slice and enjoy!


Want a slice...??!




15 comments:

  1. The cake has a lovely texture, looks too good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really yummy and simple, I could have this with my coffee :-)

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx a bunch Alessandra...it sure tastes heavenly with coffee....a double shot of coffee and chocolate!! :)

      Delete
  3. this looks really decadent. very moist and light. a must try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx a ton Sayantani for the kind words!! I follow ur blog for any fish curry/ authentic bengali cuisine that I want to try, and it feels so great to get a comment from u!!

      Delete
  4. i love almond flavours much...looks so moist ans soft...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx Saranya! I too love the nutty textures in a cake...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious spongy and moist cake. U have a nice blog. U can visit my blog and give ur valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx so much dear! Loved ur blog too....interesting recipes and nicely explained too!

      Delete
  7. This cake looks wonderful! :) loved the cakey background :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,check out my blog,have something for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnku so much for sharing ur award wid me dear! I feel honoured...:)

      Delete
  9. Thx a lot Ihjaz....do let me know how it turned out for you. I just clubbed my two loves in this cake....coffeecake and devil's food!!!...;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog. Your comments and suggestions are dear to me, so please feel free to post your queries here. I'll love replying to them. Tkcr.